Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions that aren’t included below, our fleet card experts are ready to help. Just call 800-395-0812.
Fleet Cards 101
Q: What is a fleet card, and how will it help my business?
Fleet cards are a better way to manage fuel and maintenance expenses for your business vehicles.
If “getting the job done” means you have vehicles on the road, fuel can easily be one of your largest expenses. But fuel prices are unpredictable, rising and falling due to factors out of your control. A fleet card helps give you consistent savings beyond pennies at the pump—a valuable edge for any business.
WEX cards help you save time and money by letting you put guardrails around employee spending, identify potential fraud or misuse, automatically track your purchases online, access detailed reports, and more.
Q: Are fleet cards only for large companies with a lot of vehicles?
No. A “fleet” can be a single car used by a sole proprietorship, or thousands of different vehicles deployed by a large corporation. That’s why WEX offers cards for both smaller businesses and large fleets.
Q: Where are WEX cards accepted?
WEX has the largest fueling network in the fleet card industry—over 160,000 U.S. locations, including the most popular fuel brands and c-store retailers. This means you don’t have to plan routes around where to fuel, or drive miles out of your way to find a particular station. We even have a mobile app that makes it easy to find the cheapest nearby fuel.
You can also use your WEX cards at over 45,000 U.S. service locations.
Q: How is a fleet card better than cash or a company credit card?
WEX cards offer plenty of advantages over cash or credit cards. Cash is easily lost or stolen, and you have little actual control over how much can be spent at one time, or at what locations. Credit cards give you basic info like location and purchase amount, which doesn’t provide much insight into your spending. Also, credit cards are usually swipe-and-go, and don’t require verification before use. It may take a while before you know if something is wrong.
More than either option, WEX cards eliminate the busywork and hassle of managing your fuel spend:
- Entering Driver IDs at the pump acts like a security checkpoint, preventing the use of lost or stolen cards.
- Automatic online accounting means you can stop chasing down receipts.
- Easy-access reports let you know who spends what, where and when.
- Get detailed info for every transaction, including location, price per gallon, fuel grade, and more.
- And if you ever need help, our U.S.-based customer service team is ready, 24/7.
Q: Is a code or password required for purchases?
Yes. For each purchase, employees enter a Driver ID plus one additional prompt, selected as an option when you set up your account. Additional prompts include odometer reading, vehicle number, or another piece of data relevant to your business.
Q: Can I access my WEX account online?
Yes. We encourage every WEX customer to use WEXOnline to access and monitor their account, manage their card features, control the security of their cards, and make payments. It also allows customers to access their available reports.
Q: Can I access my WEX account on my smartphone?
WEX provides easy, reliable mobile access to your account. Wherever the job takes you, you can look up Driver IDs, view and filter transactions, check your fuel card credit limit, cancel lost or stolen cards, and spot potential misuse.
Q: What if we need help in the middle of the night, or on a weekend?
Our U.S.-based customer support team is always available and ready to help—24 hours a day, every day. Our experienced fleet experts are here to help keep your drivers moving.
Q: How can I apply for a WEX card?
If you know the card you want, it’s easy to apply online. If you’d rather apply over the phone, just call us at 800-395-0812.
Q: How long does it take to get approved/receive my cards?
WEX aims to review all applications within 48 hours from the time we receive them. Once an account is approved, cards can be ordered and issued within seven days. Overnight shipping can be requested for a fee.
Q: Will I be notified if I’m approved?
Yes. Approved applicants will be contacted via email or WEX sales representative to create the account and gather the vehicle and driver information needed to order cards.
Q: Can I call with questions about my application?
For any questions regarding your application, call 800-395-0812 and speak a with a WEX sales representative. We’re available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Q: Can I view terms and conditions before I apply?
Q: Can I control what WEX cards are used for?
Yes. In our online tool, you can allow (or limit) purchases based on the following categories:
- Fuel (always on)
- Automotive Parts & Service
- Quick Lube
- Oils & Fluids
- Roadside Assistance (optional)
- General Merchandise (optional)
Q: Can I control when and where a WEX card is used?
Yes. You can set boundaries at the driver or card level, including:
- Hours of the day
- Days of the week
- Dollars per day or week
- Dollars per transaction
- Number of transactions in a given time period
Q: What reports do I get with my WEX account?
WEX reports include standard and custom options to help you track activity, flag misuse and keep expenses in check:
- Purchase Activity Report. Compile all fuel and maintenance purchases made with your WEX card — for every vehicle, or a select number.
- Premium Custom Reports. Set your own criteria to create custom Exception, Transaction Summary, and Transaction Deal reports.
- Summary Reports. Use our Financial Summary, Site Summary, and Exception Summary Reports to manage your vehicle-related expenses and plan your budget.
- Tax Exemption Reports. For qualified tax-exempt businesses, these monthly report packages provide tax information at both the transaction and summary level, and include all tax exemptions that can be applied to your account under our program.
Q: Are WEX reports compatible with my bookkeeping software?
Report data can be exported into most major bookkeeping and accounting software. You can also download them as PDF files.
Q: How soon can I see purchase details online?
Transaction details can be viewed as soon as they are posted. However, the completed invoice can’t be viewed until your billing cycle has closed.
WEX EDGE Savings Network
Q: What is the WEX EDGE Savings Network?
The WEX EDGE savings network offers exclusive discounts on the things that keep small business moving—like fuel, tires, and wireless. WEX customers get the buying power of a major corporation, in a way that’s easy to use, easy to track, and easy to save.
There’s more to WEX EDGE than great discounts. Access a dashboard to see how much you’re saving on fuel, and how you could save even more. Use your WEX account to pay for goods and services beyond fuel. Consolidate and control your business spending in a single, seamless application.
In a time when businesses have to work differently, EDGE helps you get more for every dollar, more for every mile.
Q: Who is eligible for WEX EDGE discounts?
Every small business with a WEX Fleet Card account is eligible for EDGE discounts.
Q: What exclusive discounts are available?
WEX EDGE offers the following discounts:
- Fuel Rebates. Earn valuable rebates in the growing EDGE network, with participating locations at TA/Petro, Casey’s, Yesway, GetGo, Kum & Go, QuikTrip, and more.
- Tire Discounts. Competitive tire pricing at over 2,200 Bridgestone Retail Operations locations in the U.S.—and WEX customers also save 6% off retail for additional parts and service.
- Wireless Discounts. Save on Sprint Business wireless solutions and accessories, including top-tier plans, additional lines, and more.
- Fleet Management Discounts. Deals on data analytics and reporting, GPS tracking, and other tools to get more from your vehicles
Q: How will I access WEX EDGE?
WEX customers access EDGE through a simple online portal.